Information for Prospective Applicants
Applicants must be sophomores who have declared or intend to declare a major in a field of physical science, engineering, or life science and have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Spend 8-10 hours/week in host lab during academic quarters, for research credit (winter/spring sophomore year and fall junior year)
- Work full time in host lab during summer quarter, stipend funded by Stanford ChEM-H
- Attend a weekly seminar (Tuesdays, 3-4 pm) focused on interdisciplinary research, research proposal development, presentation skills, and more
- Present a final research talk and poster at the end of the program
The 2020 application is closed, and the program will not be running in 2021. Check back in summer 2021 for information on the 2022 Undergraduate Scholars Program.
Applications must be submitted through the online portal at https://chemh.slideroom.com/ and will require the following:
- Stanford transcript (PDF, unofficial copy is acceptable)
- Current resume (PDF)
- Answers to the following questions:
- What courses or other academic experiences motivated you to choose your major or intended major? If you are still deciding between multiple majors, what motivated you to consider each of them? (500 words or less)
- Describe an interdisciplinary research or technology problem that would excite you as an undergraduate researcher. The problem may not clearly fit within the scope of your chosen or intended major. (500 words or less)
- What do you envision doing after you graduate? (500 words or less)
- Selection of 3 research projects to be considered for. The open research opportunities will be updated in Fall 2020 for the 2021 program. In the meantime, interested students should check out the past research projects (see below) to get a sense of the types of research opportunities supported by the program.
Any questions may be directed to Brian Castellano (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Learn more about past projects: